ACTIVITIES IN ST ANTON
- Climbing at the sports centre – an area of almost 1,000 square metres indoor and outdoor, 'Arl.rock' brings together everything for boulder, lead, fixed rope and ice climbing.
- Indoor tennis (resort sports centre )
- Squash courts (resort sports centre)
- Four bowling lanes. (resort sports centre)
- Swimming pool indoor and outdoor (wellness centre)
- Steam room (wellness centre)
- Sauna - dry heat and infrared (wellness centre)
- State of the art gym (wellness centre)
- Ice skating (outdoor at the wellness centre)
- Curling – outdoor ice rink
- Torch Lit Descent - Watch the St Anton ski instructors ski at night on a torch lit descent every Wednesday night. Watch the free style skiers perform aerial acrobatic tricks, whilst the ski instructors show off the crash formation. This spectacular can be enjoyed with a vin chaud, especially on a cold night.
- Toboggan Run
- St Anton Gampen – 4.3km illuminated natural toboggan run to Nasserein which is open daily from 12pm to 4pm, with evening tobogganing between 7.30pm and 9.30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The course takes approximately 15 minutes to complete, depending of course on how many times you disembark your toboggan. Toboggans can be rented at most sports shops.
- Horse-Drawn Sleigh Ride
- Cross-country Skiing - 40km long network of trails
PRACTICAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE AUSTRIAN ALPS
GMT + 1
The official currency is the Euro (€). Coins are available in 1 cent, 2 cent, 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent, 50, cent, €1 & €2 denominations. Notes are available in €5, €10, €20, €50, €100, €200, €500 denominations.
Travellers cheques are widely accepted for exchange or purchase in major cities, but in more rural areas, visit a bank to exchange them for Euros. Major credit cards are widely accepted here (though a limited number of merchants have American Express accounts) and ATM access is widespread. Exchange currency only at authorized outlets such as banks and hotels, and exchange only what you think you will spend in the country. Coins cannot be reconverted on departure. Save all receipts from any currency exchange transaction. You may be asked to produce them when you exit the country, and they are required if you intend to reconvert local currency.
AVERAGE COST OF A SKI PASS IN ST ANTON
* aged 13-19 years
** aged 65-75 years
Tips in restaurants are usually added on at 10/15 % of the bill. However, it is often a subject of controversy whether this amount actually goes to the waiter or not, therefore it is your choice whether to tip more.
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE FORMALITIES
Travel documents are your responsibility. In general you should have: a signed, valid passport that will remain valid for at least 6 months beyond the completion of your trip. Your passport must have enough blank pages (excluding amendment pages) available for entry and exit stamps issued when entering and exiting immigration points. Visas are required for certain nationalities and you are strongly advised to check your status allowing plenty of time for visa application.
The nearest airports to St Anton are:
- Innsbruck (100 km)
- Freidrichshafen (130 km)
- Zurich (200 km)
- Munich (250 km)
- Salzburg (300 km)
The alpine climate is cold and visitors should wear warm, waterproof clothing at all times when outdoors during the winter. Hats and gloves are also essential to prevent frostbite. Sunglasses or ski goggles are also necessary to reduce the glare of the sun on the snow.
It is advisable to contact your doctor before you travel if you have any specific health concerns and imperative to take out appropriate travel and medical insurance. Winter sports involve a high degree of risk and you should be in good health and carry adequate medical insurance in case of winter sports accident, including cover for air ambulance.