Set among rolling olive groves and yet only 5 minutes away from the nearest beach, this elegantly designed villa with stunning sea views is perfectly positioned for those seeking the ultimate Mediterranean experience. Built as one of the owner's two holiday houses, Villa Valomia combines high standards with a cosy feel throughout. Sun-filled open spaces and high ceilings, a warm colour scheme with cream tones and soft lines, beautifully landscaped gardens as well as a spectacular pool area with fantastic views make this villa a special find.
Together with its sister property Villa Iranai, Villa Valomia is set on 5000m2 of private grounds in a residential area just outside the coastal village Kolymbari in Western Crete and has therefore a variety of traditional tavernas, restaurants, shops and beaches on the doorstep. The popular historic town of Chania is also nearby (25-minute drive) and therefore offers a great opportunity for a daytrip.
The villa is surrounded by manicured gardens featuring lush lawns, flowering plants, an organic vegetable garden as well as other Mediterranean vegetation. Several al fresco dining and lounge terraces, a great BBQ suite and a playground (on request) invite the guests and their young ones to relax and enjoy themselves. The highlight however is the stunning infinity-edge pool with Jacuzzi beds and shallow children's area. A gazebo sits between the deep and shallow ends and appears to be floating. Needless to say that the sea views from here are simply breathtaking.
Villa Valomia can either be booked on its own or together with Villa Iranai which also sleeps six guests in three stylish bedrooms and which is located slightly to the back of Villa Valomia.
Villa Valomia's interiors are decorated in a sophisticated country style creating a soothing and sun-filled atmosphere with soft earthy colours and numerous floor-to-ceiling windows.
Featuring 3 main bedrooms, all equipped with TV, A/C and with access to the garden or terraces, Villa Valomia provides plenty of space for couples, a family or group of friends. The open-plan living and dining areas as well as the fully-equipped kitchen in Provencal style are ideal for spending quality time away from home.
• Spacious entrance hall leads to open-plan living and dining area (seats 8), elegantly decorated in country chic and with large windows opening out onto lounge and al fresco dining terraces
• Well-equipped kitchen with all modern cons and functional bread oven
• Laundry with washing machine and dryer
• Double bedroom with 1.80m bed, TV, A/C and access to vegetable garden. Adjacent bathroom with tub & shower
• Double bedroom with 1.60m bed, TV, A/C and private covered terrace with sea views.
• Twin bedroom with TV, A/C and private balcony overlooking olive grove
• Both bedrooms share a bathroom with shower.
• Spacious terraces for dining and relaxing
• Built-in BBQ corner
• Well-landscaped gardens with lawns, flowering plants, local vegetation etc.
• Playground for children (on request)
• 5000m2 olive grove partially surrounding the property
• Organic vegetable garden
• 45 m2 Infinity swimming pool with shallow child area, Jacuzzi beds, wood deck and pavilion
• The property is equipped with CCTV cameras for safety reasons.
- Inokritika an exhibition of Cretan wines made by local producers.
Apokries, the Greek version of Mardi Gras is an event not to be missed. Thousands of people flood the streets of Chania in masquerades and costumes to celebrate through song and dance
Memorial Parade, held in Heraklion to celebrate the uprising of Greeks against Ottoman Turks in 1821.
- Burning of Judas celebrations. Easter is the main public holiday in Greece and in Ayios Nikolaos, it is celebrated with the burning of an effigy of Judas on Lake Voulismeni accompanied by the sound of firecrackers.
- Yakintheia - three-day festival filled with cultural events including Cretan folk tradition, music and food tasting. For a true inisight into Crete traditions and heritage, this is a festival not to be missed.
- Heraklion Summer Festival. This arts festival runs until September and has welcomed arts groups such as the Kirov Opera, Bolshoi Ballet and the Vienna Opera.
- Festivals - a number of festivals are arranged by the municipality during this month including art exhibitions, theatrical events and music concerts.
Suggested general activities:
- St Minas Parade, held in Heraklion by the townspeople to commemorate their patron saint, who rescued Christians from slaughter by Turks in the 19th century.
Suggested sporting activities:
- Visit the many archaeological sites and historical monuments including Ancient Aptera, Firka Fortress, Egyptian Lighthouse, Giali Tzamisi and the Byzantine Wall of Chania.
- Relax on one of Chania’s beaches famous for its clear waters and golden sands.
- Explore Chania’s history on a tour through the Old City.
- Scuba diving,
- Limnoypolis waterpark.
TIME ZONE Greece operates on GMT + 2 hours.
LANGUAGE Modern Greek (as opposed to Ancient) is the national language of Greece. Vernacular speech contains many borrowings from foreign languages, including Italian, French, Turkish and English, so you may hear some familiar words in everyday speech. "Tourist Police" whose lapel badges picture a Union Jack or American flag speak English. In Greece, people whose work brings them into contact with visitors from overseas are generally excellent English speakers.
CURRENCY The Euro, divided into 100 Cents.
MONEY MATTERS Travellers cheques can easily be converted into Euros; some larger stores will take them as payment. Smaller denominations are preferred. Major credit cards are widely accepted (though American Express less so) and ATM access is widespread.
TIPPING Like most European countries, tipping in restaurants is common, with a recommended 10% on a discretionary basis according to service. Check that a service charge has not been added to your bill before deciding whether to tip. Taxi drivers do not usually expect a tip but it is common practice and considered polite to round up taxi fares.
WEATHER Greece enjoys a typically Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers and cool, occasionally wet winters. Summer temperatures can reach the upwards of 90 degrees Fahrenheit and sun protection in the form of sun cream, a sun hat and lightweight clothing is recommended.
CLOTHING Style is fairly casual throughout Greece though in more rural areas and during Easter more conservative dress may be observed, for example covered shoulders. Cathedrals, churches and other religious sites require conservative dress. Both sexes should cover their arms, legs and shoulders. Cotton and other light fabrics are comfortable choices for summertime as the heat can be extreme during summer months. You are advised to take lightweight light coloured items, including a sun hat to protect your skin from the affects of sun damage. Spring and autumn temperatures dictate light to medium-weight clothing selections and in winter you will need a pullover and a coat. When dining at better restaurants and for any special occasion during your journey, dress is more formal. For gentlemen, a "jacket and tie" standard is appropriate, with an equivalent standard of eveningwear for ladies. Bring comfortable walking shoes with low or no heels.
HEALTH For up to date information on latest health and vaccination recommendations, please contact your doctor.
ELECTRICITY Electrical service is supplied at 220 volts/50 hertz.
19th September 2013
We have had a marvelous time. Great villa, friendly village and superb hosts - Roula and Manos were wonderful. We came with a family of three generations and everyone enjoyed themselves. Thanks for everything.
John and Janet London
Villa Valomia is located in a residential area near the beachfront village Kolymbari (1.5km) with taverns, restaurants, shops, supermarket, etc.
2km to Kolymbari beach,
25km to beaches on the west coast,
23km to Chania town and 38km to Chania airport,
150km to Heraklion airport
* Please note that the location on this map is an approximate guide, normally to the closest town/village
|< Previous Month
||Next Month >
Our villas are normally rented on a Saturday to Saturday basis throughout the year. However, shorter breaks and alternative arrival days might be available outside the High Season. Please contact your Abercrombie & Kent Villa Consultant for further details.
Please note that the standard check-in time at our properties is between 4-7pm and that we ask guests to vacate the property by 10am on departure day, unless otherwise agreed in advance.
- The above rates are on a per villa, per week basis. For further information on our Villa Only services please see our
'Villa Rental Options' page. An A&K Villas Travel Consultant will be happy to discuss your specific holiday needs - simply complete the quick
'Make an Enquiry' form or call us on 0845 618 2205.
- Cost of utilities (water, gas and electricity).
- Maid service up to 4 hours once a week (Wednesdays).
- Arrival set of pool towels, household and bed linen with mid-weekly change.
- Final cleaning.
- Wi-Fi internet.
- Full Air-conditioning.
- Central heating.
- Meet & Greet at Chania Airport by villa representative.
- Private swimming pool (main area 10x4.5m, children's area 1.6x 4.5m).
- Additional maid service available at EUR 20/hour.
- Pool heating available on request at a cost of EUR 350 per week (paid locally). The pool temperature can be 5-7 degrees higher than the air temperature after heating (depending on the weather conditions) and it should be requested at least 5 days in advance of your arrival date.
- A pre-arrival grocery shopping service is available on advance request. A service fee of EUR 50 will be charged locally plus the cost of groceries. This service covers up to EUR 200 worth of groceries.
- Cook or meal delivery service can be arranged on available request. Please enquire about details and prices.
- Transfer from Chania Airport to the villa (one way) available from EUR 235 (up to 6 guests). A supplement may apply for transfers at night time.
- We are also able to arrange all manner of additional activities to enhance your villa experience. Please contact your A&K Villas Travel Consultant for further information.
- Please note that in case of cancellation all confirmed services are non refundable.
- KINDLY NOTE:
- The property is equipped with CCTV cameras for safety reasons.