Select a Destination
01242 547 705
to speak to a specialist
Girona | Bedrooms: 15 | Sleeps: 18 + 14
Rates: from £35,940 per week
Exclusive Offer for A&K clients: Daily massage service included in your Mas Mateu rental. Voted the 'Best Residence in Europe' at the International Property Awards in 2010, Mas Mateu has since been hosting the most elite and discerning clients from all over the world and is steadily growing with each successful season. Situated within an expansive 18th century Spanish estate, the villa is the perfect example of classic combining with contemporary to produce a match made in heaven. Steeped in Catalan history, the house is set amongst the undulating Gavarran Mountains with uninterrupted views of the Pyrenees in the far distance, yet still only 15 km from the rugged delights of the Costa Brava. Lovingly restored to its former exquisite grandeur, Mas Mateu offers family and friends the opportunity and excuse to escape to the heart of Catalonia. The various staff members, including two chefs, a sommelier, butler and concierge, will make sure every one of your needs and wishes is catered for.
The main house sleeps 18 adults in 7 suites and 2 guest rooms as well as four children in a separate bedroom. There are also two further residences on the estate (of lower quality than the main house), making Mas Mateu an ideal getaway for families, group of friends or corporate gatherings. Upon arrival at Mas Mateu the property’s vast classical wealth is immediately apparent. You are greeted by an entrance hall dressed from top to toe in Catalan traditions; from the ceramic flooring to the vaulted ceilings. Off the entrance hall are a host of inviting lounges and living areas that will satisfy all needs; whether you are looking to recline into a deep state of relaxation in either the Spa or private cinema after a long 18-holes at the nearby golf course or whether you wish to grab some exercise in the well equipped gym after an exhausting day lounging by the exquisite infinity pool, all are possible within Mas Mateu’s resplendent walls. Each bedroom of the main house is uniquely decorated in delicate tones, accompanied by locally sourced rugs, unique family heirlooms and individual fireplaces. Many enjoy far-reaching views of the Costa Brava from their own private terrace. Dining is a truly Catalan experience at Mas Mateu. Enjoy a Spanish banquet, freshly prepared by the in-house chefs, under the stars on one of the many open terraces or eat in the elegant dining room, both perfect locations to ponder over a bottle of Rioja from the fully stocked wine cellar what the morning will bring; a day’s cycling in the glorious surrounding Gavarres National Park. Or perhaps a game of Padel - a traditional Spanish form of tennis? On the rare occasion that you need to venture outside of the estate, the surrounding region houses an abundance of gastronomic delights, including over 10 Michelin star restaurants in less than an hour’s drive, and local vineyards producing fine wine recognized by the reputed critic Robert Parker.
Main House - Ground Floor:
- Grand entrance Hall.
- Oak panelled office area & reading room with fire place.
- Spacious lounge with panoramic views over countryside and stylish dining area.
- Lounge with fireplace, library, cards table and billiards table.
- Small sitting room with fireplace.
- Private Cinema room (seats 8).
- Fully equipped kitchen and wine room.
- 2 downstairs W.C.'s.
- Elevators or staircase to further floors.
- Suite Peratallada: with 1.80m bed, TV, fireplace and en suite bathroom with bath and shower attachment (35.36m2).
- Suite Mediterraneo: with 1.60m bed, TV, sitting area and en suite shower room (28.47m2).
- Suite Mas Mateu: Master Suite with 1.60m bed and large separate living area (89.49m2) with TV. En suite bathroom with free standing oval bath tub and separate shower. Private terrace.
Guest Bedrooms 1 & 2: with 1.60m double beds and TVs (23.36m2 & 18.24m2) and with two adjacent rest rooms. One with jacuzzi bath and shower and the other just a shower. Access to shared terrace.
- Children's Bedroom: 4 single beds suitable for children. Please note that this room doesn't have an own A/C unit but can benefit from that of the other two adjoining rooms.
- Study with laptop, printer and telephone for clients' use. PlayStation available for children's entertainment. No A/C.
- Suite Les Gavarres: Master Suite with 1.80m bed, TV, library and living area (51.63m2). En suite bathroom with bath and shower attachment. Private terrace.
- Suite Los Olivos: with 1.80m bed, TV, fireplace and en suite bathroom with bath and shower (39.59m2). Private terrace.
- Suite Pyrinee: Smaller in size and with 1.80m bed and en suite shower room (31.59m2).
- Suite Costa Brava: with 1.80m bed and an additional single bed on mezzanine level, TV, fireplace and en suite bathroom with bath and shower attachment (27.25m2).
- Gymnasium with treadmill, exercise bikes and weights.
- Spa Area with Jacuzzi, sauna, sun and massage beds.
DIRECTOR'S HOUSE - sleeps 6 guests:
- Living & Dining area with TV, DVD player, IPod dock, fireplace and dining table (seats 6). Access to spacious lounge terrace.
- Kitchen with dining facilities.
- Master Suite: with 1.80m bed and en suite bathroom with bath and shower. A/C and TV.
- Suite 1: Twin/Double bed with en suite shower room. A/C and TV.
- Suite 2: Twin/Double bed with en suite shower room. A/C and TV.
While benefitting from the same excellent services, we would like to make you aware that the interior of the Director's House has been designed in a light and contemporary style as opposed to the sophisticated elegance and historic charm of the main house. The house is a short walk away from the main house (approx. 2-3 minutes).
GUARD HOUSE - sleeps 4, suitable for additional staff:
- Living & Dining area with TV, DVD player, IPod dock, fireplace and dining table.
- Well-equipped kitchen with dining facility.
- Master Bedroom: King-size bed and lounge area with TV and A/C.
- Bedroom 2: Twin beds with TV.
- Both rooms share a separate bathroom with bath and tub.
- The interior of the Guard House is of traditional rustic decor and not air-conditioned (fans available), hence most suited to additional staff members.The building is located within 50m from the main house.
GROUNDS (63 hectars):
- Sweeping lawn areas and olive grove.
- 18x8m infinity pool with shallow kids area. Spacious pool house with sitting and lounge area, TV, fridge and dining table. Two showers and W.C.
- Summer kitchen with pizza oven.
- Paddle court with rackets and balls (paddle is a mix between tennis and squash).
- Soccer field and Basketball pitch. Facilities for beachvolley ball, rugby, badminton, boules/botcha, archery, quad biking, cycling, horse riding, etc.
- There is also a private equastrian centre on the grounds including 5-7 horses and ponies (not for guests to ride).
- Various meeting rooms and facilities.
- A Food & Beverage deposit of EUR 8000 is due with the balance payment upfront.
Mas Mateu is located in the Golden Triangle, amidst the beautiful nature reserve Les Gavarres and surrounded by culture and history, plenty of well-preserved medieval villages and the spirit of famous artist Salvador Dali. The area is also famous for its world-class gastronomy including various award-winning restaurants such as El Celler de Can Roca.
- Approx. 45 minutes from Girona Airport (55km) or approx. 5 minutes by helicopter (helipad on villa grounds)
- Approx. 1.5-hour drive from Barcelona Airport (150 km)
- Approx. 5-min drive to nearest town, grocery store, restaurants, etc.
- Approx. 8 minutes to golf course
- The nearest beach is approx. 12-minute drive away. Within 30 minutes you are at several of Costa Brava’s finest beaches, including Calella del Palafrugell, Aiguablava, L’Escala
*Please note that the location on this map is an approximate guide, normally to the closest town/village.
|< Previous Month||September 2016||Next Month >|
- Villas are normally rented on a Saturday to Saturday basis throughout the year. However, shorter breaks and/or alternative arrival days are available at some villas during Low and Mid seasons.
- Please note that the standard check-in time at our properties is between 4-7pm and that we ask guests to vacate the property by 10am on departure day, unless otherwise agreed in advance.
- Above rates are inclusive of VAT.
- Please enquire with your A&K Villas Consultant if you wish to book the Director's House and/ or the Guard's House in addition to the main house. The prices for the Director's House range between EUR 5775 and EUR 7700 per week. The weekly price for the Guard House vary between EUR 3850 and EUR 5159.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR A&K CLIENTS: Book Mas Mateu for any dates throughout the year and receive a complimentary hour of in-house massage service every day of your stay. Please contact your A&K Villas Consultant for more information.
- The above rates are on a per villa, per week basis. For further information on our villa only and A&K hosted services please see our 'Villa Rental Options' page. An A&K Villas Travel Consultant will be happy to discuss your specific holiday needs – simply complete the quick ‘Make an Enquiry’ form or call us on 0845 618 2205.
- STAFF MEMBERS:
- The rental of Mas Mateu includes the following staff:
- The services of a knowledgeable villa concierge.
- A personal Butler who is also sommelier. For a group of 18 guests, there will be a second butler plus waiter.
- The services of two professional full-time chefs of which one is a pâtissier for the sweet cuisine). Please note that a food deposit of EUR 8000 is due upfront (payable with the villa balance).
- For your arrival the Head chef and Butler will have prepared a selection of traditional canapés accompanied by fine local wines, soft drinks and juices.
- The daily cleaning is provided by a group of up to 8 maids who work in shifts. Turndown service is also available at 9pm.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR A&K CLIENTS: A complimentary hour of in-house massage service every day of your stay.
- OTHER VILLA SERVICES & FACILITIES:
- Private swimming pool (18x8m) with shallow children's area.
- Air-conditioning in all rooms (except for the children's bedroom).
- Central Heating.
- Wi-Fi internet connection.
- Cost of utilities including water, gas and electricity.
- Final Cleaning.
- Pool heating available at additional cost from EUR 250 for the first day and from EUR 140 for every following day (exact cost subject to weather conditions).
- Laundry service at EUR 60 per person per week.
- Your A&K Villas Consultant and your local concierge are happy to assist with booking services including personal trainer, private transfers with chauffeur, luxury car rentals, personal shopping trips, excursions, yacht charter, golf sessions, horse riding, wine tasting, events, cooperate meetings, etc.
- KINDLY NOTE:
- A Food & Beverage deposit of EUR 8000 is due with the balance payment upfront.
Because everyone’s concept of a villa holiday is different, we have created a formula designed to offer privacy, flexibility and the freedom to run your own holiday or call upon us to help open up a world of possibilities. Our villas are normally rented on a villa-only weekly basis and are ideal for those seeking independence and privacy. We’re on call in case you need us and we provide a change of towels and bed linen during the week, but otherwise there no inclusions.
A&K Concierge upgrade
For additional support, comfort and a slice of pampering why not upgrade to our A&K Concierge service. Included is an airport welcome on arrival with assistance for onward transportation; the services of an A&K Concierge – whose local knowledge provides you with invaluable assistance and recommendations; an orientation of the local area; a fully stocked drinks fridge; maid service; the ingredients for your first evening’s supper and breakfast delivered on the first morning of your stay. For full details of concierge inclusions speak to an A&K Travel Consultant on 0845 618 2205.
The finishing touches
Ever dreamt of driving through the Chianti hills in a red Ferrari, or along the Moyenne Corniche to Monaco in a Bentley? How about sailing along the Cote d'Azur to St Tropez in a private yacht or speed boat? Sometimes the home is all that you need, but if you're lured into culture, excitement, activity, improving your cooking or simply dabbling in landscapes, then speak to one of our Villa Specialists for an insight into what we can arrange. These are what we call our ‘Finishing Touches’.
The list is by no means exhaustive and we always welcome requests, however obscure you may think they are! Our local offices enable us to control the quality of the services on offer and the depth of knowledge our local teams have is impressive. Our aim is to provide guests with the authentic sights, flavours and experiences of the region they are staying in.
If you would prefer to discuss your specific requirements, whether it’s in relation to the property or about your stay in general, please do contact us using the Enquire page or please do give us a call for a chat.
- Air Conditioning
- Barbecue Facilities
- Basketball Court
- Beach Volleyball
- Business Centre
- CD Player
- Central Heating
- Children's Toys
- Coffee Machine (Espresso)
- Computer for Client's Use
- DVD Player
- Fans Available
- Gym Equipment
- Internet Access (Wireless Broadband)
- iPod Docking Station (iPod Included)
- Jacuzzi (Private)
- Music Sound System
- Pool / Billiards Table
- Recreation (Petanque/Boccia/Boules)
- Soccer Field
- Swimming Pool (Heating Available)
- Table Tennis
- TV (Cable/Satellite)
- Wine Cellar
Book this holiday and collect Avios
Reasons to book your holiday with us
- Over 50 years' experience
- 24/7 support before, during and after your stay
- All of our properties have been hand-picked and visited by a member of the team
- Travel Consultants are based in the UK with local offices to assist with planning every detail of your stay
- Option to upgrade to a Concierge stay to make the most of your visit
- Option to book additional trips and services via our local offices
Your favourites will appear here.